For most people, moving day is anything but pleasant. The process of packing up all your things and moving cross country can be stressful and chock-full of backbreaking labor, (both figuratively and literally speaking).
As a professional moving company that’s been family-owned and operated since 1906, we’ve learned a thing or two over the years about what it takes to make your relocation simple and stress-free. That’s why we’ve included a set of quick, easy-to-reference professional tips to help you stay on track during your next move.
To keep things simple and easy to remember, we’ve offered a few moving checklists and split the moving process between three different stages: packing day, loading day, and delivery day.
- Take all loose jewelry, cash, coin collections, etc., with you in your vehicle instead of packing them.
- Have your High Value Inventory form set aside for the van operator.
- Place items you’re taking with you in a closet or cupboard and label them:
DO NOT PACK OR LOAD.
- Unplug your TV 24 hours before loading.
- Make sure any items that are attached to your residence with bolts or screws are detached and ready for movers to load.
- Make sure you’re there when your driver arrives or make arrangements in advance for an adult to take charge in your absence.
- Inspect your inventory to make sure you agree with your driver’s description and discuss any disagreements before signing.
- Approve and sign the Bill of Lading.
- Check your valuation selection.
- Complete and sign the High Value Inventory form.
- Make sure your van operator has the correct address for your destination.
- Before leaving, walk through your residence one more time and make sure everything is loaded. You are responsible for any items left at your residence.
- Provide your van operator with all contact numbers for your destination.
- Be there in person to accept the delivery or make arrangements in advance for an adult to take charge in your absence.
Have your payment ready. (Unless arrangements were made in advance for billing.)
Check off your items as they are being unloaded on an Inventory Control Form. (Ask the van operator for one of these forms.)
- Note any changes in the condition of your goods and cartons on the original Inventory forms.
Sign the inventory forms.
NOTE: Signing the inventory forms without any noting any exceptions is stating that all items were delivered without any noticeable damage.
- Report any missing or damaged items to your destination agent immediately.
- Wait 24 hours before plugging in your TV, electronic equipment, or major appliances.
Following these tips will help you stay organized throughout the entire move. So you can spend less time worrying and more time on settling into your new home.
Feel free to contact us with ANY questions or concerns you may have during any part of your move. We’re always happy to help!
You can also give us a call toll-free at 800-242-8182.